Sunday, January 1, 2012

Should Auld Acquaintances be Forgot..

Happy New Year!  Here's what I posted on Facebook last night:

This year I've been lucky enough to forge new friendships and rekindle old ones. I have spent some amazing time with my amazing family on both sides of the country. I've laughed and cried and measured my success in the number of moments that made me feel truly blessed- which were many. I've heard good news and bad news, sometimes had good days and sometimes had bad ones but always tried to live each one them never taking for granted who/what I have in my life. 365 days lived one at a time makes for one whole year of understanding who I am and feeling thankful that I have the life I have. Looking forward to the New Year and all the surprises and adventures it has in store. Happy New Year everyone, from my heart to yours ♥


I'm entering 2012 the same way I enter every new year- Hopeful, excited, ambitious.  My daughter will be walking before I know it (That's going to be an adventure in itself!), I have big plans for my little hat business and I am bursting at the seams with ideas and inspiration for new projects!


Instead of making the same New Year's Resolution I make every year (lose weight, get in shape- I still have plans to work on "me" but I'm not calling it a resolution), I resolve to do more nice things for others.  One of the first things on my list?  I have a cousin with cancer and I'm going to make her a soft, warm shawl.  We haven't been in touch for a long time (not for any bad reasons, we just never lived close to each other when we were younger, grew up and got involved with our own lives).  I've never knit a shawl before but with the help of a friend have found a pattern that shouldn't  kick my butt.  I'm excited!  I've been wanting to make one for a while but have been intimidated by the idea (until now I've only been working on small projects- ones that are easy to put down and pick back up without getting lost).  I can't think of a better reason to make my first one.


Because we live on opposite sides of the country, a shawl would be a perfect gift.  It's warm, comforting and you wrap it around your shoulders- it's just like a hug!  I found the most beautiful hand-dyed merino superwash yarn on Etsy in a bright magenta and purple mix.. I can't wait to see how it works up!


My other plans for 2012?  Making hats and donating them either to the maternity ward of the hospital or to the homeless.  I also want to do more little, everyday kinds of things- like buying a stranger a coffee or paying someone's bus fare.  Little things that are easy to pay forward.. maybe I'll start a movement!



No comments:

Post a Comment